Monday 26 August 2013

The Gathering article - June 2013


 
In my last article in The Harp I pondered on the importance of the spoken word in passing down community and family history. When I started researching my own family history back in the early 1990s, both the English and Irish roots of our tree, I was most definitely inspired by my Aunty Kath.   

Kath Robinson and her husband Harry were two of life’s truly decent, salt-of-the-earth working class people – proud hardworking Brummies who had both grown up in the cobbled inner city streets of Ladywood, romancing and courting through the uncertain Blitz years of the 1940s and marrying at St Peter’s RC church near Broad Street in 1942. True and lasting love not only blossomed for K and H, but the happiest days of their lives were fulfilled in spite of the constant threat of Herr Hitler’s bombs, raining down on the factories and streets of Britain’s industrial heartland.
 
Kath was my dad’s second oldest sister. She was born in the far away city of Ahmedabad in the northern Indian region of Gujarat in 1922, when my grandfather William was a young soldier in the Worcestershire Regiment. In those days a long-term posting to the other side of the world meant that young British privates were unlikely to come home for years as opposed to months, so their wives were given the unique opportunity of following on to join them in India. To my grandmother Florence, this was a chance in a lifetime for a young working class woman from the back-streets of Birmingham.
 
The couple were Catholics, both having Irish roots, so their baby daughter Kathleen was baptised at the church of Our Lady of Carmel in Ahmedabad. My grandparent’s address was recorded simply as ‘camp’. The sights and sounds of 1920s India stayed with my grandmother all of her life and I remember when I was a child listening to her Kippling-esque tales of long-ago India. The images of elephants, monkeys and mamsaabs that she conjured up have stayed with me all of my life. If Aunty Kath had also inherited the story telling gene from her mother Florence, then in turn Florence it seems had inherited it from her own mother, Mary Finn, the daughter of Irish immigrants whose families had fled from Galway in the post-famine decade of the 1850s.
 
Whilst my Aunty Kath never had the opportunity to visit Ireland in her own life, she had inherited a profound dedication to the Catholic tradition and the Irish culture of previous generations. Through the stories that had been passed down to her by her mother and grandmother she was able to paint a rich picture of the Irish community in inner city Birmingham in the late 1800s and early 1900s. She recalled to me that some members of the Finn dynasty of old Newtown and Hockley had left Birmingham to live in Cleveland, Ohio and in her top drawer she kept a very old and cherished photograph of a nun, whom she had never met but believed to be an American relative of the family.
 
Following my Aunty Kath’s death in 2000, I decided to see if I could trace our family nun and try to discover the story of the people who left Birmingham for Ohio in the early 1900s. My research eventually led to a family of sisters from the Finn line of my grandmother’s ancestors, with married names including Robinson, McKiernan, Ratchford and Duffey, who migrated to Cleveland together in Edwardian times.
 
The research even identified the nun, Sister Marie Nativa McKiernan. Sister Joanne of the Sisters of the Humility of Mary in Cleveland, Ohio emailed:   
 
“Yes, the photo very much resembles Sr. Marie Nativa McKiernan whom I recall in her elder years. Since the habit is definitely that of the Sisters of the Humility of Mary, I would be 99.9% certain that this is Sr. Marie Nativa. She was born in 1906 in Birmingham, England to Thomas McKiernan [born in Ireland ] and Anna Finn McKiernan [born in England ]. Her baptism was at St. Chad Cathedral in Birmingham on November 18, 1906. She entered this religious congregation on January 23, 1925 from St. Edward Church in Cleveland, Ohio.”
 
It is quite incredible to have traced Sister Marie Nativa on the basis of just an old photograph and a family story and I am only sad that my Aunty Kath was no longer alive to hear the results of my research. Whether this little miracle is down to the power of the internet or, I’d like to think, some higher force at work, it does go to show the importance of keeping stories alive from one generation to another and my message to old and young Harp readers alike is, get talking to each other, put pen to paper and fingers to keyboard and …write your history down!    

What do you think Irishness means to people in the West Midlands? Tell us your story in The Harp.

Readers are invited to join our Facebook page and visit our blog:

Visit the blog at


Join our Facebook group at

Please send your stories and photos to Pete Millington at spaghetti.editorial@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment