Monday 26 August 2013

The Gathering article April 2013 edition


 
One chilly evening last month I braved the freezing cold conditions to venture out from our warm homestead in Quinton in search of the fabled Kitchen Garden Café, an intimate and charming entertainment venue in York Road, Kings Heath. The recommendation came from a longstanding friend, Paul Murphy, well known musician and writer (amongst his many other talents) who is well acquainted with my personal interest in all-things Irish and suggested that I may therefore find the evening’s performances worth checking out.

As always Paul’s recommendation was a good one as the main entertainer that evening was Rich McMahon performing his show ‘The Imagined Nation: Inventing Ireland Through Words, Images and Songs'. Born in Coventry but raised and educated in Ireland, Rich’s show very much reflects the issues of Anglo-Irish identity which many of us in the West Midlands can relate to. Rich McMahon is a witty, accomplished and engaging entertainer but also a very insightful thinker and writer whose show captures many pertinent themes affecting those of us who  would (in the words of W.B. Yeats and Tim Pat Coogan) “wear green” but don’t always feel fully convinced as to why it is relevant or important to do so.

Watching Rich McMahon’s show was particularly timely, coinciding with the well-publicised Year of The Gathering, with my personal exploration of Irish roots through these articles in The Harp and taking place one week before St Patrick’s Day. Clearly a marketing genius. What I liked about his show was that he didn’t set out to give us any definitive answers or to wrestle down, kicking and screaming, the meaning of Irishness - especially for those of us of the oft maligned second, third and even fourth generations. Those whom even the Census designers still haven’t quite fathomed out where to place, how to describe or whether it even matters.

One of the themes which Rich explored, and from different viewpoints I should add, was the term (or even the concept) of the poor old Plastic Paddy. It’s a term I came across a couple of decades ago now, originally coined I believe by the Irish media to caricature the distant descendants of Irish migrants who are, shall we say, prone to over exuberant acting-out of certain stereotypes.

Whilst acknowledging where the critique is coming from and also recognising the behaviours it might be aimed at, as someone with a love, pride and if nothing else an interest in my own Irish heritage, I don’t always feel it’s a useful or constructive generalisation. So it was very interesting to hear Rich McMahon taking this one on and throwing out some challenges to our own perceptions.   

Just on the ‘Plastic Paddy’ issue, I recently had an email communication with someone in Ireland around family history information and he wrote to me “I’ve never spoken to a Plastic Paddy before” which was a slightly unexpected comment to say the least though I decided to reply with the same humour which I hoped had been intended and replied “I was so shocked by your inference that I was a Plastic Paddy that I spilt my Guinness all over my Pogues t-shirt”. Unfortunately he did not respond specifically to this clever and ironic retort of mine (well I thought so anyway), so I was left pondering its intention though my lesson being, if in doubt then broad shoulders, a sense of humour and a general resolve to be happy with one’s own greenness, whatever the shade, is probably the best way forward.

A few days after the Rich McMahon show in Kings Heath I had the pleasure to meet him again when Paul Murphy and I went along to a St Patrick’s Day celebration at Amesbury Road Day Centre for people with learning disability in Moseley. The event was organised by social worker Mick Lynch and both Paul and Rich provided songs and music a-plenty to entertain the service users and staff. In this sort of situation the stereotypes go completely out of the window and we get on with enjoying great music and that other thing Irish people of any generation generate so well, the craic!

What do you think Irishness means to people in the West Midlands? Tell us your story in The Harp.

Readers are invited to join our Facebook page and visit our blog:

Visit the blog at


Join our Facebook group at


Please send your stories and photos to Pete Millington at spaghetti.editorial@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment