Tuesday 25 December 2012

Discovering an ancestor contributed to my disability history research

Having researched both disability history and my own family history for many years, only in the last two years I discovered the story of my g-g-grandfather John McDonnell, a blind entrepreneur who was a co-founder of the League of the Blind in Dublin in 1898, it's branch chairman for some years and a man who was successfully elected as a Poor Law Governnor for the North Dublin Union during the Edwardian era.

This summer I was given a copy of John's 1916 Will by relatives in Dublin. When I wrote a book called Forward-The History of Birmingham Disability Resource Centre funded by HLF just 2 years ago, I knew absolutely nothing about this fascinating Irish ancestor - even though I made mention of the League of The Blind in my book as Britain and Ireland's very first example of a user led disability organisation. I hope to tell more of John's story soon.

Do you have stories of your Irish ancestors to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment